Most of us understand the benefits of moving about more and getting some fresh air. For a start, it’s a mood booster. Exercise of any kind, even a gentle stroll, signals your body to release endorphins, which improve mood and trigger positive feelings. After the last couple of years, I think we can all get behind that! Piper is a new free website where you can meet like-minded folks who also want to get out and about or try new things.
No matter how great you feel after some exercise, actually getting off the sofa and taking the first step when you have a warming cuppa and a new Netflix series to binge can take a lot of effort. Studies have shown that if you make a commitment to exercise with a friend you’re far less likely to bail and reach for the remote. However, we don’t always have friends or family who share our exercise goals or sports interests… This is where Piper comes in. The idea for Piper came about during lockdown, when we were all wondering whether more than an hour a day outdoors was allowed. Whilst walking along the South Downs I’d chat to folks along the way, and it became clear that not everybody had a friend to step out with. And so I created a solution.
Piper is a new free website where you can meet like-minded folks who also want to get out and about or try new things. Spend 2 minutes creating a profile, and then the match technology will find people in your area who are interested in doing the same activities as you. Send them a message using the secure on-site messaging, and arrange a meet up. From walking to climbing, kayaking to tennis there’ll be somebody out there who’s keen to get out and about with you. Quite apart from having a buddy to coax you off the couch, there are many more benefits to exercising with a friend:
- It’s more fun. You’re less likely to get bored when you’re with a buddy. Whilst you’re sharing experiences and having a laugh along the way, exercising becomes something you look forward to. And you can put the world to rights at the same time!
- You’ll have more choices. Suddenly tennis, badminton or rock climbing become options you might not have even considered before.
- You can be more adventurous. It’s easier to try new things with somebody else. You may just find a new activity you love, one that feels more like fun and less like a workout.
- You can broaden your mind. Chatting with a new buddy about things you don’t always talk about with your friends can open you up to new ideas and interests.
- With Piper, you can specify your level of a particular activity. Finding somebody who’s similarly active makes us all feel better, and you can spur each other on to get to the next level. Or not! You can also be comfortable together at the level you’re at.
- You might go somewhere new. Your buddy might have a great new walking, running or cycling route you’ve not tried before.
Walking outside exposes your skin to sunlight, which prompts your body to produce more vitamin D. We’ve all heard about the benefits of vitamin D recently, which include boosting your immune system, helping combat depression, and supporting cardiovascular health. Research also shows that people who engage in outdoor activity report more enjoyment from their exercise.
Right now is one of the most beautiful times of year to get out in nature: there’s no searing summer heat on sweaty runs and you have the beautiful changing leaves and misty mornings to admire. You turbo boost the benefits of exercise by doing it in nature. Plus did you know that spending time outdoors is a great way to get your creative juices flowing? Whether you’re struggling with writer’s block or essay fatigue, a difficult solution to a problem at work or trying to plan a meal prep for the week: taking a walk outside can help clear your mind and trigger new ideas.
So, whatever it is you want to do, go to www.imwithpiper.com and use Piper to find someone near you to share the fun!